Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February 27, 2008

I don't want this to turn into a restuarant review, but there are a couple of outstanding dining establishments that are definately worth mentioning. I save the one for another date and share where we went tonight: The Alpenhof-a Bavarian restaurant located on the Morgantown Road. The building dates from 1898, originally built as a hotel in what was then the country side of the Reading suburbs. It was erected in an area known at that time as Old Maid's Woods which had a picnic grove and could be reached by a trip down the Schuylkill River via steamboats or nearby railroads. What history ensued from that time until 1969 I couldn't say, but in 1969 a German by the name of Munford bought it and ran it as a German restaurant. When Herr Munford sold the business he wanted it to continue with the same ethnic ambience and food. And so it has.


The decorations and furnishings are reminiscent of the Alpine area-complete with antlers and a large mural on the wall. There was German music playing-the kind that made you want to get up and polka around the room. And this was before we had anything to drink. For liquid refreshment David ordered German beer-Wernheiser, I chose wine. Now one of my favorite wines is Gewurtztraminer, but they were out of that brand. Our waiter Rolf, who was also a German native, suggested an alternative, Pies Porter Michelsberg (a spatlese grape) 2005 vintage. To confirm his recommendation was what I wanted, Rolf brought me a sample of the house Riesling, which would have been my second choice. There was no question he had suggested the best-it was excellent! (take note of this Donna!) Rather than dessert, I opted for a second glass. For entrees, I chose a traditional jaeger schnitzel, David had sauerbraten-delicious.


We chatted with Rolf a bit and I asked him when Edelweiss was in blossom. To see and smell Edelweiss, when we finally get to Italy and the Alps, is on my "to do list." I was delighted and relieved when Rolf answered that it blooms in August and September! Wonderful, because if it was an early spring flower, I might not make it! He further educated us by informing us that Edelweiss was protected. He added that the reason was because in the 1920's-1930's the plant had gotten a disease that killed many of the plants, greatly limiting it's propagation. He said that even though you are prohibited from picking it, there are carpets of it on the mountain slopes. Does that not sound heavenly?! So while we are not in Europe at the moment, we are living there vicariouly.


On that same note, I have a habit of losing my gloves and last week they found and returned to me by a gentleman with a British accent. Tonight I left my gloves at our table and Rolf comes aafter me saying with his German accent "my lady, your gloves." Ahhh, you would never hear an American man say that!