Tuesday, June 3, 2008

May 30, 2008 Bunnies and Beagles

I know this sounds silly but there are two European animals that I absolutely am thrilled about: hares and hedgehogs. The other night while visiting our friend, Deb told us that there were hares living in the field beside her house. It was dark so we never expected to see one, but our headlights managed to pick one up as it hopped from the road into the field. So knowing indeed that there were hares about I started to watch for them in the fields as we would pass. I was so excited to discover two hares munching away in a field. I couldn’t help but take all these pictures. Note the dark tips on their ears and their size. These things are huge compared to our rabbits, probably half again as big. Now all I need to do is find a hedgehog.







People are always walking their dogs and being dogless at the moment I’m always watching them. Mongrels seem to be the breed of choice over here, but you do run across the occasional Yorkshire terrier, labs, retrievers, etc. But my heart always leaps when I see a beagle and when we saw this one having coffee with its owner



my feet took me across the street where I had a nice conversation (with the owner) and got a chance to pet the beagle. A handsome hound, isn’t she,




but not a beautiful as our Muffin!